"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."--Groucho Marx

Monday, July 30, 2012

July, July...is Rushing By


            Summer is racing by, and I’ve noticed a few things about myself. I can find time to read because I can read anywhere. What is difficult is actually getting my thoughts down on paper and into the blog and other places that I post. So, I’m guessing that this blog with continue to be a once-a-month posting, with a few occasional posts in between. I have several books to post today to catch up on my end of the day reading. 
            Our garden has kept me busy this summer and away from the books. I’ve enjoyed canning, freezing, and pickling. Then after I filled up all the spaces in our pantry and freezer, I turned to a food dehydrator to learn some new tricks. I’ve enjoyed following the blog of fellow blogger / canner Marisa McClellan on http://www.foodinjars.com/. Although she is not in my neck of the woods, she has provided me with support this summer as I’ve ventured further down the canning road that I’ve ever gone before, and actually come up with edible things.
            This has left me little time for posting since I would never cut into my reading time. Posting actually requires me to sit in front of the computer, while I can read in the car, in bed, and waiting for appointments.
            I don’t think I’ve mentioned it before, but just in case you didn’t know; there are websites where you can keep track of what you have read and what you are planning to read. If you are not currently using one, check out Goodreads, http://www.goodreads.com/, LibraryThing, http://www.librarything.com/home/, and Shelfari, http://www.shelfari.com/. I post my reviews on those sites, too. You can follow other readers who have similar tastes, and you can follow some of your favorite authors to see what they are reading. This can help with that irritating habit of picking up book to read, and not realizing that you’ve read it until you are half way through it. They can also help you find other books you might like.
            If you don’t have an electronic reader yet, I encourage you to jump on the bandwagon.  They are so easy to use and you can read in the dark, one of my favorite attributes. If you didn’t know, you can now download books from most local libraries, without ever actually visiting the library over your home Wi-Fi. You can get them after hours, and they return themselves, so they are never over due.
            Well, I’ve got to get on to my reviews. I hope your summer if moving along smoothly. I’ve read some great books this summer; I hope you have, too. Stay out of the heat, and read a book! gs

No comments:

Post a Comment