"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."--Groucho Marx

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

In the Hands of Grace, My First Review


Hello.  This is my first venture into blogging, and I’m a little nervous.  I’m going to begin with my review of a book that I read earlier this year, when I published the review on Goodreads. Published through The Writer’s Coffee Shop, this book is a relaxing and interesting read.  I hope you enjoy my review.  Thanks for checking in.

Greco, D. (2009). In the Hands of Grace [E-Book]. Retrieved from http://www.thewriterscoffeeshop.com/‌publishinghouse/‌books/‌detail/‌27

I loved In the Hands of Grace, by Dianne Greco!  This novella begins on the day that Susan Appleton is fired from her job in the Diamond District of New York that she has held for 17+ years.  Susan’s husband died 18 months ago.  At that time, she and her son, Chris moved to their current home in Bridgehampton.  The story moves through the days as Susan tries to come to grips with the changes in her life, but when she begins visiting with her neighbor Grace, her world opens up.  Grace is an elderly woman whose favorite saying is “Hand to work, Heart to God,” a saying she learned while living with the Shakers, early in her life. Susan grows and learns about herself, her son, her town and others during the year after she lost her job.  Watching her growth reminds us that we always need to stretch our selves, and reach out to others as we move through our lives.


I received this book from Library Thing’s Early Reviewers, in e-book/ pdf form.  I would recommend this book for any one, but especially some one in middle- age, or someone enduring changes in her life.  Susan grows, but Grace’s gentle hand on the people and circumstances around her make you long to grow along with Susan.  This book encourages you to learn more about the people and your family that you see each day, and live your life to the fullest. Wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment